It [The Analytical Engine] can do whatever we know how to order it to perform
PhD. Logic, Philosophy and Epistemology (2015)
(highest honours with congratulations by the jury)
University of Paris/Panthéon-Sorbonne/ENS Ulm/CNRS)
Examining committee: J. Mosconi, J.P. Delahaye, B. Cooper, A. Adamatzky and C. Imbert
PhD. Theoretical Computer Science (2011)
University of Lille
Examining committee: J.P. Delahaye, G. Chaitin, S. Grigorieff, P. Mathieu and H. Zwirn
M.Phil./Res. Logic (LoPHISS) (2006)
University of Paris 1 (Panthéon-Sorbonne),
Ecole Nationale Supérieure & CNRS
Supervisor: J. Dubucs
BSc. Mathematics (2003)
National University of Mexico (UNAM)
Mexico City, Mexico
Supervisor: F. Hernández-Quiroz
Member of the following societies and organizations
- London Mathematical Society (elected member in 2015)
- Oxford University Scientific Society - OUSS (lifetime)
- Foundational Questions Institute (lifetime)
- Computability in Europe (lifetime)
- The Oxford Invariants Society (Oxford Math students society) (lifetime)
- Cambridge Networks Network - University of Cambridge
- Liliana Badillo (former student of Barry Cooper) (postdoc)
- Santiago Hernandez, National University of Mexico (UNAM), Mexico (PhD)
- Yue Deng, Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden (Masters)
- Alberto Hernandez, National University of Mexico (UNAM), Mexico (PhD)
- Jakub Olczak, Karolinska Institutet (KI) and Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden (Summer)
- Daniel Wilson-Nunn, University of Warwick, U.K. (Summer)
- Alyssa Adams, Arizona State University, Tempe, U.S. (Summer)
- Ronnie Rodrigues Pereira, Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden (Master's project)
- Yanbo Zhang (USTC, China)
Selected Online Presentations (SlideShare)
- Graph Spectra through Network Complexity Measures: Information Content of Eigenvalues
- Information Theory and Programmable Medicine
- Fractal Dimension of Space-time Diagrams and the Runtime Complexity of Small Turing Machines
- Cognition, Information & Subjective Computation
- Information Content of Complex Networks
- Algorithmic Information Theory and Computational Biology
- L’approche algorithmique de l’aléatoire
- Towards a stable definition of Algorithmic Randomness
- A Numerical Method for the Evaluation of Kolmogorov Complexity: An alternative to lossless compression algorithms
- Complexity and Computation in Nature: How can we test for artificial life?
- Fractal Dimension versus Computational Complexity
Organizing, Reviewing & Committee Memberships
- Guest Editor of the following journal special issues:
- Invited editorial board member of:
- Member of the national body of researchers SNI, CONACYT (SNI II)
- Member of the Registro CONACYT de Evaluadores Acreditados (RCEA) (Mexican National Science Council)
- Expert scientific evaluator/reviewer for:
- The National Science Foundation (NSF), USA. 2012.
- The European Commission (FP7 and H2020 proposals) since 2011.
- The CONICYT (Comisión Nacional de Investigación Científica y Tecnológica), Chilean government, 2009
- The National Fund for Scientific Research FWO Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek - Vlaanderen (FWO), Flanders, Belgium (FWO-expert), 2015
- The Foundational Questions Institute (FQXi) annual essay contest, 2012-2015.
- Peer reviewed for the following journals: Theoretical Computer Science; Fundamenta Informaticae; Complex Systems; Nonlinearity; Information Processing Letters; Discrete Applied Mathematics; International Journal of Unconventional Computing; Natural Computing; New Journal of Physics, and PLoS One.
- Book and paper reviewer: For the ACM Computing Reviews (more than 25 reviews published, some of them featured selected review and selected reviewer).
- Program committee member of (links were functional at the time of the event and may help you trace it through the Internet archive):
- AUTOMATA 2020 (chair)
- ALIFE 2019
- AUTOMATA 2019
- LOD 2018
- SE4COG 2018
- ALIFE 2018
- AUTOMATA 2018
- IEEE SSCI 2017
- ECAL 2017
- IEEE ICNSC 2016 (workshop co-organizer)
- ALIFE 2016
- 2015 IEEE ALIFE
- ECSA 2015
- IACAP 2014
- ROR/AISB50 2014
- ALIFE 2014
- IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence 2014
- ECAL 2013
- ISCS 2013
- The Alan Turing Year 2012
- ECCS 2012
- NC @ AISB/IACAP 2012
- ISCS 2012
- WCSCM2011: chair
- JOUAL 2009: Co-organizer
- Midwest NKS 2008 : Co-organizer
Awards & Grants
- Swedish Research Council grant worth 3,690,000 SEK (~.5M USD).
- Swedish Wenner-Gren Center Foundation for Scientific Research worth 10,000 Euros.
- Selected young researcher to the Heidelberg Laureate Forum to closely interact with Fields, Abel and Turing prize winners during a week at the University of Heidelberg in Germany.
- John Templeton Foundation grant worth 180,000 USD for project on Habitable Zones of Complexity Measures to investigate the interplay of complexity in causal evolving networks.
- Foundational Questions Institute (FQXi) grant worth 40,000 USD and mini-grants summing about 10K USD awarded by way of the Silicon Valley Community Foundation for travel support in the context of my "The Nature of Computation and the Physics of Information", "Computation and Biology", and "Computation and Time", (FQXi-MGA-1316, 2011-93849 (4661) and FQXi-MGA-1212), 2012-2014.
- Appointed member of the National Researchers Body (Sistema Nacional de Investigadores--SNI) of the National Council of Science and Technology of Mexico (CONACyT) in 2013.
- Winner in the Computational Imagery category of the "2011 Kroto Institute Scientific Image Competition". Image entitled "Visualising the Computational Universe: Runtime Space in a Peano Curve", 2011.
- 3rd Place Prize "Reality: Digital or Analog" Contest 2011, awarded by the Foundational Questions Institute (Essay title: "The World is Either Algorithmic or Mostly Random") announced at the World Science Festival, NYC, 2011.
- Travel support by the British Society for the Philosophy of Science through the University of Leeds, 2012.
- Early nominated to the MIT Technology Review (Spanish version) annual list of 35 INNOVATORS UNDER 35, 2012.
Bourse aux jeunes chercheurs Comité National Français d'Histoire et de Philosophie des Sciences, 2011.
- Ministère de l'Enseignement Supérieur et de la Recherche (bourse de mobilité aires culturelles), 2007, University of Paris.
- Association for Symbolic Logic (ASL) Travel Grant Award (CiE 06, Swansea UK)
- NSF and the New England Complex Institute (NECSI) (ICCS06-Boston, USA)
- Université de Lille III, Kurt Gödel: The Writings, Maison de la Recherche 2006, Lille, France.
- Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge University, UK (visiting fellow, Workshop LAAW04, Wolfson Court, Girton College, UK), 2006.
- Masters and PhD fellowship from CONACYT and the French Ministry of Education worth 60K EUR, 2005-2011.
This video recording was made from the vantage point of the Banana river, 6 miles from the Shuttle platform in a restricted area inside the Kennedy Space Center. The STS-123 was the 25th. flight to the International Space Station (ISS) and delivered a Japanese module and the Canadian Dextre robot.
Video taken by H. Zenil on March 11, 2008 of the Space Shuttle Endeavour STS-123 liftoff!